• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California Transfer Upon Death Deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

I don’t see the benefit of what you’re doing. Until you die, all your properties are subject to actions against you. Once you die, with tod deeds, they go to whomever is named as beneficiary and would have no need for protections to keep them separate from the other properties.

adjusterjack

actually, i was hoping that a tod would be done on the property, as part of the purchase ? so that i did not have to do anything extra.
I thought of that with the house I'm closing on this week. Doesn't work like that. You'll get a warranty deed transferring the property to you and then you'll have to execute a new deed transferring the property to your beneficiary as of your death.

Check out the sample:

TrustUser

i am familiar with the form. if i cant get it done as part of the closing process, then i think i will just have it placed in my name, and leave it like that.

i dont mind a one-time inconvenience to place a lifetime property in a separate trust.

but doing it every 3 months, just in case i die accidentally - is more inconvenience than i am willing to do

thanks for the replies

Sponsored Ad