• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Camera found in the bathroom at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wmubroncofan05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I'm just wondering some opions on this and what you would do in this instance. I work in a large emergency dispatching service in Northern Michigan. We service over 2 counties and have apx. 35 employees (night and day shifts). We have one main bathroom in our dispatch center, which is co-ed. After my shift on a Friday afternoon I was in the bathroom changing clothes to catch a flight to Florida for my sister's wedding. While going to the bathroom I noticed a red flashing reflection off the wall. This is a very small bathroom, less than a size of a closet. We keep extra uniforms hanging there, there's a small sink and mirror. You can literally reach from one end to the other, it's a very tight space. I looked down on the floor and the red reflection was coming from inside of a coat, spread out on the floor. In the arm section of a coat, near the brim of the sleeve was a video camera, recording.. In the heat of the situation I quickly turned off the lights, put my shirt on and ran out to find my supervisor. She then went into the bathroom and saw the exact same thing. The camera was tiltled against books under the coat facing towards the toilet. * To make this a shorter story, she reported this to our general manager and I left for my flight. I was called in at my next shift for a meeting with H.R., my supervisor, and the owner of the company. Basically to state that yes we both saw the camera but neither one of us had evidence in our hands. I totally agree with that, to the fact that I didn't grab the video camera like I should have or that my supervisor didn't either. And there was nothing that will be done regarding this situation. The following week I was called in again and stated that I was being put on leave for "slander" to the employee. That I have caused emotional pain on him. His reason why the camera was in the bathroom (mind you tilted up and on) was that his wife was having a baby, and the camera was in the bathroom charging! I was shocked that they were blaming this on me. That I was accused of harrassing him now. Instead of protecting me, and having my supervisor handle this situation, the company has turned it's story around making me look like the bad one. More than anything, I should feel as a victim. On grounds of my suspension I was ordered to go to counceling, have a drug test, and write an apology letter to him personally. I put my resignation in last week as I felt this company is not worth my time. Does anyone know the statue of limitations on something like this? I have suffered emotional stress from this and humiliation from them. I've received emails, comments and horrible letters stating how I'm a whistleblower and inappropriate sexual comments. Any information would help.. I realize yes I should have grabbed the camera, or my supervisor should have, but to be forced into this situation is kind of unrealistic. I'm especially curious to see how guys would react to something if they were to be videotaped in the bathroom? And ladies opinions.. What would you all do from here if you were in my shoes?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With all due respect - you don't have any proof it was recording. If the coat was on the floor in such a tight space, I suspect it was knocked off the hanger.

wmubroncofan05

True..

Totally appreciate your response. Yes, possibly it could have. But why in the world would you leave a camera in the bathroom. I won't even leave my IPOD or personal belongings anywhere but at my desk. Kind of ironic though.. but, thank you for responding to my post. I appreciate your prospective. Have a good day!

cyjeff

There is an easy way to resolve this.

Contact the person with the camera and have him plug it in and show everyone how a charging camera has a red light on. I would also make sure that it COULD have been charging from the location it was in... in other words, would the recharging cord have reached that long. Then, I would demand an explanation as to why he thought it was appropriate to bring it into work.

Then, I would call the police.

Then, I would file a complaint with the EEOC.

JETX

What would you all do from here if you were in my shoes?
Contact the police. What the employee (and possibly the employer) did is A FELONY!!
The excuse that this was a camera charging is simply that... an excuse. It makes NO sense. Why was the 'charging' camera 'hidden' in a sleeve?? Why was it in the bathroom?? The employee should be forced to PROVE that the red light is on when charging. Simply too many unanswered questions.

Michigan Penal Code:
750.539d Installation, placement, or use of device for observing, recording, transmitting, photographing or eavesdropping in private place.
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, a person shall not do either of the following:

(a) Install, place, or use in any private place, without the consent of the person or persons entitled to privacy in that place, any device for observing, recording, transmitting, photographing, or eavesdropping upon the sounds or events in that place.

(b) Distribute, disseminate, or transmit for access by any other person a recording, photograph, or visual image the person knows or has reason to know was obtained in violation of this section.

(2) This section does not prohibit security monitoring in a residence if conducted by or at the direction of the owner or principal occupant of that residence unless conducted for a lewd or lascivious purpose.

(3) A person who violates or attempts to violate this section is guilty of a crime as follows:

(a) For a violation or attempted violation of subsection (1)(a):

(i) Except as provided in subparagraph (ii), the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years or a fine of not more than $2,000.00, or both.

(ii) If the person was previously convicted of violating or attempting to violate this section, the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years or a fine of not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(b) For a violation or attempted violation of subsection (1)(b), the person is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years or a fine of not more than $5,000.00, or both.

(4) This section does not prohibit a person from being charged with, convicted of, or punished for any other violation of law committed by that person while violating or attempting to violate subsection (1)(a) or (b).

Zigner

Guys, this was practically a closet (6' x 6' max). If the coat was on the floor, this lady was stepping all over it. It fell down.

cyjeff

Guys, this was practically a closet (6' x 6' max). If the coat was on the floor, this lady was stepping all over it. It fell down.
It fell down with the cord running up the sleeve in such a way where, when the coat fell, not only did it not pull the charging cord out of the camera but positioned said camera towards the toilet? On top of books that acted as a tripod?

Could this have happened? Sure... Is it likely? No.

However, the answer still is easy... have the owner of the camera bring it in and charge it... if a red light on the front of the camera goes on when the camera is NOT on, then we keep looking.

However, since EVERY camera I have ever used has a red light in the FRONT to let people know it is on and recording, I find this HUGELY hard to believe.

Perky

I don't disagree with any of the advice already given, but I am curious about the company's strong reaction to OP's report of the incident, as well as the reaction of fellow employees. That part seems odd to me.

On grounds of my suspension I was ordered to go to counceling, have a drug test, and write an apology letter to him personally.
I've received emails, comments and horrible letters stating how I'm a whistleblower and inappropriate sexual comments.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I don't disagree with any of the advice already given, but I am curious about the company's strong reaction to OP's report of the incident, as well as the reaction of fellow employees. That part seems odd to me.
Me too, Perky. Too odd.

The employer accused her of slander and harrassment, is requiring counseling, suspended her, and told her to send a letter of apology to the camera's owner--because she saw a camera in the bathroom, told her supervisor about it, and then left?

There's more to this story.

ETA: Plus a drug test??

Last edited:

JETX

Let's see if I have your scenario correct. Either:
1) Someone placed a hidden camera in a bathroom for the purpose of capturing people changing clothes or in various stages of undress or nudity, or
2) The camera was plugged into the wall in this 'closet' bathroom and just happened to be angled towards the toilet and a coat fell off the wall onto it.

So, which scenario do you REALLY think is the case?? :eek:

Zigner

Let's see if I have your scenario correct. Either:
1) Someone placed a hidden camera in a bathroom for the purpose of capturing people changing clothes or in various stages of undress or nudity, or
2) The camera was plugged into the wall in this 'closet' bathroom and just happened to be angled towards the toilet and a coat fell off the wall onto it.

So, which scenario do you REALLY think is the case?? :eek:
OP had to lift the coat to see the camera...do you think it wouldn't move when the cost was lifted?

Usually, I'd totally agree with you...but this one smells funny.

BL

In the arm section of a coat, near the brim of the sleeve was a video camera, recording..
You should have verified that it was in fact recording , and called the police at once .

So , was the video camera plugged in , to charge ?

cyjeff

OP had to lift the coat to see the camera...do you think it wouldn't move when the cost was lifted?

Usually, I'd totally agree with you...but this one smells funny.
From a lot of different directions.

For instance, if this was occurring in MY place of business, I would have immediately locked and stood in front of the door until police arrived.

I would have then asked THEM to review the tape, if any, in the machine and to go forward.

To demand that the reporter of such an incident be suspended and then demand a paper trail of "I am sorry I falsely accused you" and then demand a drug test from the VICTIM but not the owner of the camera sounds like management is trying to find a reason to fire the victim of harassment before she gets a chance at a lawsuit. A very transparent reason at that.

This whole situation STINKS to high heaven. Someone is covering up HARD for someone here... and it isn't the OP.

I would think the police would want a search warrant for tapes of the camera owner's house and files on the computer if digital.

There may be some really interesting footage there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">