• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Camera ticket in another state - not our vehicle.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cassbare

Today my husband received a camera ticket from TN (we live in IL) for a speeding violation - the license plate appears to be a license plate he used over 5 years ago. The vehicle in the image was not a car he have ever owned (some white truck). We called and the woman on the phone was incredibly unhelpful..

We don't know what to do - showing up to court would result in taking time off work we cannot afford (again, we do not live in this state). Neither of us have been to TN in years, the truck is not ours, and that license plate hasn't been his since 2014! We're at a loss.. any advice would be much appreciated.

Just Blue

Today my husband received a camera ticket from TN (we live in IL) for a speeding violation - the license plate appears to be a license plate he used over 5 years ago. The vehicle in the image was not a car he have ever owned (some white truck). We called and the woman on the phone was incredibly unhelpful..

We don't know what to do - showing up to court would result in taking time off work we cannot afford (again, we do not live in this state). Neither of us have been to TN in years, the truck is not ours, and that license plate hasn't been his since 2014! We're at a loss.. any advice would be much appreciated.
Did you husband surrender the plate to the DOR in 2014? If not...What did he do with it?

LdiJ

Your husband needs to dispute the ticket in writing, not over the phone. There are likely instructions with the ticket on how to dispute it.

cassbare

Did you husband surrender the plate to the DOR in 2014? If not...What did he do with it?
They stayed on the vehicle he sold - after that I don't know what happened to the plates. They made their way on to this person's vehicle, apparently.

cassbare

Your husband needs to dispute the ticket in writing, not over the phone. There are likely instructions with the ticket on how to dispute it.
Unfortunately it looks like the only way to dispute is in person. You write back and then are expected to show up in court.

LdiJ

They stayed on the vehicle he sold - after that I don't know what happened to the plates. They made their way on to this person's vehicle, apparently.
The bolded was his first mistake. He is REQUIRED to take his plates off any vehicle he sells and in some states, destroy them, and in other states, turn them into the DMV.

cassbare

The bolded was his first mistake. He is REQUIRED to take his plates off any vehicle he sells and in some states, destroy them, and in other states, turn them into the DMV.
Okay, neither of us ever realized that. I assumed that's part of the registration you have to do yearly - I register that these plates and vehicle belong to me.

So, are you saying he is just screwed now? Pay the fee for a ticket that doesn't belong to us?

Just Blue

Okay, neither of us ever realized that. I assumed that's part of the registration you have to do yearly - I register that these plates and vehicle belong to me.

So, are you saying he is just screwed now? Pay the fee for a ticket that doesn't belong to us?
Could you please have him post for himself?...It would be easier to "speak" directly to him as he is the one legally involved. Thanks..

adjusterjack

They stayed on the vehicle he sold
According to the IL Scty of State you're required to remove the plates and submit a notice of sale form to the Scty of State's office.

https://cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/sos_dop141.pdf
Bet he didn't do the notice of sale either.

Looks like yes to both questions, if your written defense doesn't work and you don't want to travel to TN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">