• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a 22 year old 5150 help me get ssi??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have a 5150 but its from 1997 i was wondering if it is too old to submit to s.s.i in addition to this i have medical records from 2016 should just send s.s.i the medical records from 2016 or send the 22 year old medical record with the current medical records my doctor approves me applying..??

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Are you applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)? Both require disability, but the two are different programs. The former is need based (i.e. available only to those of low income & few assets) while SSDI is not need based. In either event, you need to show that you are presently disabled. A 20+ year old record isn't going to be much help for that. Ideally you'd have pretty recent records you could use.

quincy

I have a 5150 but its from 1997 i was wondering if it is too old to submit to s.s.i in addition to this i have medical records from 2016 should just send s.s.i the medical records from 2016 or send the 22 year old medical record with the current medical records my doctor approves me applying..??
What is the name of your state, hello_down_there?

Is the 5150 from 22 years ago indicative of your medical condition/mental health/disability today?

quincy

california
no
Thank you for answering my questions.

Here is a link to the Social Security Administration's information on Disability and Supplemental Security Income (the medical requirements for both are essentially the same), what you need to provide, and what questions will be asked of you:
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/disability/
Your current medical records are helpful but records from 22 years ago that have nothing to do with your difficulty working now would not be.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">