• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a business refuse a receipt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sfentura

This moving company refuses to give a receipt... The day they arrived to pick up our stuff, I asked for a copy of the itinerary/receipt and the driver told me I will get a copy after drop off...well 3 weeks later when our stuff got delivered they did not provide a receipt. We have been calling the company non-stop about a receipt and each time we get a different answer, one person says no we can't provide that, another says yes but we never receive an email. It's been about 3 months now and I still have not gotten a receipt so my question is, am I able to open a lawsuit against this company? I have bank statements showing payments cleared. I can't just cut my losses as I need this receipt for reimbursement

Dandy Don

What state is this in?

Is the reimbursement part of the moving expenses/relocation to get to the new company you are working for?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It's been about 3 months now and I still have not gotten a receipt so my question is, am I able to open a lawsuit against this company? I have bank statements showing payments cleared. I can't just cut my losses as I need this receipt for reimbursement
Was this an interstate move (i.e. moving from state to another) or a move just within one state? If the former, in what state did the move originate? And if the latter, in what state did the move take place? Also, did you have a written contract for the move and did you ensure that the requirement for a receipt was included in the contract?

Dandy Don

Please mention whether you signed a contract with the moving company and did you read the contract before signing it and do you have a copy of the contract you signed?

Have you made an effort to find out the name of the president of that company or who the owner is so that you can communicate with someone higher up in the organization than just a secretary/receptionist or office employee?

What city and state is the headquarters of this company located in?

Sfentura

Was this an interstate move (i.e. moving from state to another) or a move just within one state? If the former, in what state did the move originate? And if the latter, in what state did the move take place? Also, did you have a written contract for the move and did you ensure that the requirement for a receipt was included in the contract?
Interstate move. It was a basic contract that includes cost related responsibilities if we went over on our allotted cubic feet and additional fees for packaging. It did not include anything about a receipt

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It was a military move. Moved from Missouri to California
Then you are fortunate in that federal regulations apply to interstate moves and among other things those regulations require extensive paperwork be provided to you, including a freight bill at the time you pay for it that lists all the charges for the move. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) administers these laws and requires the mover to give you a FMCSA publication that explains these rights. Print the publication and send it along with a letter pointing out that you have a right to the documents specified in the publication starting on page 9 and noting that if the freight bill or other receipt is not provided you will make a complaint with the FMCSA. Keep a copy of the letter you send. Making requests in writing is often more effective than calling, and referencing the specific federal rules should get their attention.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was a military move. Moved from Missouri to California
I have a close family member (more than one, in fact), and each time there was a "military move", it was the "military" that provided the moving services. Was this a company that YOU contracted with, or was this the military that did the move?

adjusterjack

Agree with TM but add the suggestion that you research the company and determine the name and address of the Owner/President and write directly to him.

FlyingRon

If it was a "military move" it may have been done on a government bill of lading. Still, I've never had an interstate move where I wasn't drowned in paper regardless of how it was being paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">