• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a college Charge for Room & Board if they do not even have a campus?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mollya86

Minnesota..
I'm just wondering if by law a college can charge for room and board if they do not offer on campus living at all. My school does not even have a campus. we share a building with two other business'. Every student obviously lives off campus but they are charging us large hefty prices for room and board. We aren't offered a place to stay nor a cafeteria here to eat from, so I'm jsut wondering how they can charge us for services they don't even have...:confused:

This just sounds like one of those fly-by-night private day-time tv advertising colleges.
Yeah I don't know what's going on here because it certainly sounds odd. I just wanted to be sure that OP wasn't simply misreading an invoice.

They can't charge for a service not provided. Tell them you won't pay for services not provided and if they want it paid they need to provide an explanation as to how it applies to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah I don't know what's going on here because it certainly sounds odd. I just wanted to be sure that OP wasn't simply misreading an invoice.

They can't charge for a service not provided. Tell them you won't pay for services not provided and if they want it paid they need to provide an explanation as to how it applies to you.
If he AGREED to pay the charge in his contract, then yes, they can charge (and expect to be paid.)

This will be totally governed by the agreement he has with the entity.

If he AGREED to pay the charge in his contract, then yes, they can charge (and expect to be paid.)

This will be totally governed by the agreement he has with the entity.
If OP has a contract what is the consideration for the room & board charge? OP isn't provided room or board. :confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If OP has a contract what is the consideration for the room & board charge? OP isn't provided room or board. :confused:
ie:
You agree to pay $xxx for room and board charges. You agree to pay this charge whether or not you utilize any room and board services.

antrc170

ie:
You agree to pay $xxx for room and board charges. You agree to pay this charge whether or not you utilize any room and board services.
I think the issue lies in the question of IF the college is providing the room and board at all. From what the OP stated in the post the college isn't providing the considerat in any form, or offering the service since the college doesn't have dorms or a cafeteria.

If mollya86 comes back hopefully she can give more detail. At this point I'm still assuming it's a misunderstanding between her and the college. OP needs to answer the questions posed before we go too far off track :):cool:

Humusluvr

Minnesota..
I'm just wondering if by law a college can charge for room and board if they do not offer on campus living at all. My school does not even have a campus. we share a building with two other business'. Every student obviously lives off campus but they are charging us large hefty prices for room and board. We aren't offered a place to stay nor a cafeteria here to eat from, so I'm jsut wondering how they can charge us for services they don't even have...:confused:
Maybe this is a branch of the main campus, and you have agreed to pay room and board, though you are not attending the main campus.

At the school I work at, the students have to pay a fee for technology and computer labs, and the recreation and wellness center, whether they use it or not. It is a bundled fee.

You can always ask to have that charge removed, and if they don't, then ask where they justify charging you for something unavailable to you.

I question as to why you would have agreed to this in the first place..... Did you read the contract?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">