• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a company who provides sick and vacation time dictate when you begin to accrue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MParsons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV
I am the new HR for our company and am trying to get a few things ironed out. Our employee handbook states that we accrue vacation and sick time and discribes the rate of that accrual. I was just informed by our accountant that we are not crediting the employees for any time during their first 90 days. I am wondering if that is legal since we do not state that there is a waiting period in the handbook. I understand that they may not be able to use that time until the end of their probationary period but I tend to think that it should be accruing during that period.
Thank you for your assistance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing illegal in 49 out of 50 state in having a waiting period before paid time off begins to accrue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What was your first clue? ;)

And I believe that even in CA, the employer has SOME control.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Should you? Yes.

Are you prohibited by law from doing so unless it is in the handbook? No, you aren't.

If an employee goes to the state DOL with the handbook and says they should have been accruing from day one because it doesn't say there's a waiting period, who will win? Probably the employee.

Are you breaking any laws? No, you're not.

Clear as mud?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">