• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a deadbeat dad sign away custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jm5752

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My step-daughter's dad is a chronically unemployed alcholic with drug problems. He wants out of his child support.

Frankly, the mother and I would be happy to let him out if he would let me adopt his daughter.

Is there any mechanism that would permit this?

JaneyS4

Hang on PT, this one is a little different.

This is a step parent, WANTING to take over parental responsiblities of someone who doesn't want them. If it were the bio-dad on here, I'd say blast him for shirking but this man just wants to be this childs dad.

If there is a step parent wanting to adopt, termination becomes a whole different matter. Then the courts aren't "*******izing" a child.

Yes, if dad is willing, he can voluntarily terminate his rights, and you may adopt the child. Understand that by doing so, you are legally responsible for this child for the rest of their minor years. Whether you and mom make it or not.

Try this link:
http://www.flcourts.org/osca/divisions/family/bin/index.html#petsup

And go to the adoption section. The nessasary forms to file with the court are there for download.

J

jm5752

Thanks, I read most of the other posting. Frankly, I'd do almost anything to get permission to adopt. T

he thing that has her mom and I worried is that if anything happens to her mom (accidental death, terminal illness), custody could go to her natural father. We absolutely don't want that to happen. She makes excellent grades, is involved in sports and scholastics. That would all go down the tubes if she were handed over to him.

J

jm5752

I think we cross posted! by "most of the message", I mean most of nef's posting. Yes, I am in exactly the opposite position. I would gladly accept full responsibility for my step daughter. It's a complicated situation, though. She still has contact with her natural father. She looks up to him (she's still very innocent). I don't want to disturb that relationship. But I know what he is, an d I know that he has no business trying to care for this little girl (who I view as my own daughter) should anything happen to her mother.

JaneyS4

Well, if he doesn't want to sign over his rights, and he's still having contact, there's not much you can do. Its pretty hard to get a judge to terminate parental rights involuntarily. If he's willing though, it probably wont' bea big problem.

J

jm5752

Thank you, that's what I need to know. If it happens, it will be voluntary -- I'm not going to start a fight over it as long as their relationship is intact (and as long as my wife is healthy). My goal is to do what's best for our daughter, and a nasty court battle certainly wouldn't be good.

CMSC

pthalo said:
please refer to nef's post about terminating parental rights.. and if I were you I would delete this post before you start a war...
pthalo, nef's post was about a unresponsible parent, this post is about someone wanting to take over the responsibility of becoming a parent.

jm, go for it!!! Good luck to you!

hey, Janey, I have something to tell you off boards if you don't mind, can you email me please?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">