• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a grandma stop the adoption of her unborn grandchild

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You need to supply us with facts. But I'll guess the facts are something like this: Amy, a teen under age 18, is pregnant and intends to give her child up for adoption. Amy's mother, Brenda (who would be grandmother to the unborn child), wants to stop the adoption. The question then would be whether Brenda may legally intervene to the stop the adoption. The answer to that would be no unless Amy is actually legally mentally incompetent and Brenda is her guardian.

Cindy5357

All the facts that I know some lady gave her a car, and now that lady is getting my grandchild, I will never know the sex of the baby, or be able to hold the baby, and it’s not right

LdiJ

All the facts that I know some lady gave her a car, and now that lady is getting my grandchild, I will never know the sex of the baby, or be able to hold the baby, and it’s not right
Unfortunately you simply have no legal standing to do anything about it. If you are the mother of the father rather than the mother of the mother, then you could perhaps convince your son to try to do something about it, as he WOULD have standing.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You won't like to hear this, but the law gives the power to decide whether a child is put up for adoption to the parents. After all, the parents are the ones that have the burden of raising and supporting the child if they do not put up the child for adoption, not the grandparents. Forcing that burden on the parents so that you can know the child and get to spend some time with the child (which isn't guaranteed by the way, since in general you get to see the child only as the parents allow) comes across a bit selfish. I don't think you mean it to be selfish, but I do think you haven't really thought through what you asking the parents to take on here so that you can play the role of grandparent. You evidently know nothing of the mother's circumstances or the arrangements for the adoption. It may well be that the best thing for both parents and the child is the adoption. And the welfare of the child in particular should be the foremost concern.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If your daughter is the one putting her child up for adoption, then this posy speaks volumes. Were I her, you would not get to hold the baby even if I kept it.

If you son is the father of the child, then just sod off, as you are beyond overbearing and thoughtless.

No, you have no legal rights over this child. The parents do, until the have their parental rights terminated - in this case, for the purpose of adoption.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">