• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a health insurance company sue me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

peanut0815

I was recently involved in a car accident in a southern African country with several other US citizens. I was driving, no other cars were involved, and even though the cause of the accident was wind the police report does not list any weather conditions. One of the passengers fractured her C6 vertabre in her neck. In the car immediately after the accident she was moving both of her arm and her legs but could not lift her head. The ambulance drivers and the first hospital we were sent to did not restrain her neck. The pulled her out of the car and put her on the stretcher without paying any attention to her head or neck. At some point at the first hospital she lost consciousness and stopped breathing. By the time she regained consciousness the next day she was partially paralized. Her medical expenses are already incredibly high but she does have insurance (based in MA). Since the accident I have been told that her insurance company may try to sue me because I was the driver of the car. Can they do that? And if they do will this delay when my friends medical bills are paid? Also, if they were to win their case and I declared bankrupcy who would then be responsible for her medical bills?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sue you? Probably not. Make your insurance responsible for her bills? They can and probably will try; whether or not they will succeed will depend on the specific facts of the case. Consult a local attorney (and put your insurance on notice).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">