• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Judge suspend a non-custodial parent's parental rights and visitation rights due to that parents failing to appear due to a vehicle breakdown?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dosker1976

I had a vehicle breakdown and prevent me from appearing at my ex-wife's motion to leave hearing and the Judge's ruling was as follows. "Motion to leave is granted. As to the question of change in visitation, it is reserved due to the failure of the non custodial father's appearance." My ex-wife said he suspended my visitation and parental rights.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You will want to submit a request for a rehearing due to trouble beyond your control. (That is a layman's version of the motion you'll file.) You'll probably want an attorney to assist you, otherwise your odds of success are very low.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I had a vehicle breakdown and prevent me from appearing at my ex-wife's motion to leave hearing and the Judge's ruling was as follows. "Motion to leave is granted. As to the question of change in visitation, it is reserved due to the failure of the non custodial father's appearance." My ex-wife said he suspended my visitation and parental rights.
I'd also remind you that it is worthwhile to get confirmation of this from the court. Even if your ex is the most trustworthy person on the planet, things can be misinterpreted.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I think the judge gave you a break. If judge said 'motion TO leave (instead of FOR) then it means that the judge was reserving judgment because you weren't there. You need to find out if the hearing has been rescheduled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">