• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a Landlord re-rent an apt after signing an agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnna_m

Recently I looked at an apartment that was for rent. I spoke with the owner, explaining that I was getting some help from the Department of Social Services to pay the first month's rent, and asked if a landlord/tenant agreement in lieu of a security deposit (until I get my first paycheck) would be okay. He agreed. He sent an assistant to meet me at the apartment, where I decided I would take the place. The assistant filled out the agreement and we decided I would pick up the keys on the 1st of the month. Today (Dec. 30) I took a walk by the apartment, and to my utter shock, saw that he has moved someone else into that apartment!! I spoke with the new tenant, and found out she is paying $525, where I was to pay only $450. I have the signed agreement. What can or should I do???? Now the 1st is a few days away and I am without an apartment.

[Edited by johnna_m on 12-30-2000 at 08:12 PM]

HomeGuru

There is no such thing as having a lease agreement be in lieu of a security deposit. In any case, L should not have rented the property again. You can sue for some serious damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">