• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CAN A LANDLORD VIDEOTAPE INSPECTION?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpac165g7

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in an apartment. Yearly, we have an inspection. Usually, it is two maintenance men, and perhaps one of the assistant managers. They usually check the smoke detector, and I guess, look for any apparent damage? They've never had an outside official, like the fire marshall, with them; and, I've been here almost 9 years now.

This year, a few months ago, they again came around for inspection; this time just two of the maintenance men. ONE of the maintenance men had an electronic tablet in his hand; and, I could tell, it was on the camera setting. I didn't say anything, but, I knew something was up; I had heard a rumor that the inpsection, was an attempt on managements part, to find tenants with pets that aren't paying for them, and perhaps other illegal activities.

Well, I DO HAVE A CAT. And, I KNEW they were looking for him; as, I have cat trees in my apartment; so, I hid him in the closet.

The maintenance man with the tablet, did a quick visual inspection, and directly walked into my bedroom with the tablet to focus the tablet underneath a 'cat castle' (cat condo) that I have by the window; to see if my cat was inside, so they could report that to management. He found nocat down there, and they left. And, I let my cat out of the closet.

Is it LEGAL for my complex to say this isan inspection, under false pretenses, AND, is it legal to use video recording devices? (as, my personal belongings are all around--and, if they have a video of where my possessions are, well, you can see where I am going, right? )

Thanks!!

adjusterjack

Is it LEGAL for my complex to say this isan inspection, under false pretenses
It's not false pretenses. It's an inspection whether by eye or by camera.

is it legal to use video recording devices?
Yes.

if they have a video of where my possessions are, well, you can see where I am going, right? )
Yeah, you are going nowhere.

They can just as easily make a diagram of your apartment and note the position and type of all your possessions if they had a mind to.

IF the leases have a surcharge for pets and you are ducking same , you don't exactly hold the high moral road?
No question about that.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I live in an apartment. Yearly, we have an inspection. Usually, it is two maintenance men, and perhaps one of the assistant managers. They usually check the smoke detector, and I guess, look for any apparent damage? They've never had an outside official, like the fire marshall, with them; and, I've been here almost 9 years now.

This year, a few months ago, they again came around for inspection; this time just two of the maintenance men. ONE of the maintenance men had an electronic tablet in his hand; and, I could tell, it was on the camera setting. I didn't say anything, but, I knew something was up; I had heard a rumor that the inpsection, was an attempt on managements part, to find tenants with pets that aren't paying for them, and perhaps other illegal activities.

Well, I DO HAVE A CAT. And, I KNEW they were looking for him; as, I have cat trees in my apartment; so, I hid him in the closet.

The maintenance man with the tablet, did a quick visual inspection, and directly walked into my bedroom with the tablet to focus the tablet underneath a 'cat castle' (cat condo) that I have by the window; to see if my cat was inside, so they could report that to management. He found nocat down there, and they left. And, I let my cat out of the closet.

Is it LEGAL for my complex to say this isan inspection, under false pretenses, AND, is it legal to use video recording devices? (as, my personal belongings are all around--and, if they have a video of where my possessions are, well, you can see where I am going, right? )

Thanks!!
So you're asking about the legality of a landlord looking for illicit activity? Bwahahahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!!

FarmerJ

SO you know video records and regular pictures work two ways , near the time tenants move out when they take pictures -vid of a rented homes conditions can serve a tenant well when they have to show a court that the LLs charges for damage were not true or unfair. Same way around for a landlord when a tenant moves out and claims LL wasn't fair but LLs documentation shows the tenants claim as untrue. LL has every right to force you to comply with your leases terms or to get you out. If your not willing to come clean with the LL re kitty then what ever consequence occurs is what it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">