• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a life ins beneficiary be disputed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nnichols

What is the name of your state? Maryland
My uncle died never having been married, nor had children. He is survived only by 2 sisters, 3 nephews, & myself his niece. He was also my Godfather and considered me the only child that he would ever have and therefore listed me as the beneficiary on his life insurance policy about 15 years ago. I have already received a check from the ins co. as I was the only named beneficiary. Can anybody ever enter a claim or dispute against this money? Meaning other family members or creditors? The insurance co. told me this had nothing to do with the estate.What is the name of your state?

justalayman

sometimes the bene can be contested but that is generally in situations where a person believes a bene was altered illegally or the policy owner did not have the mental clarity to be able to alter it.

In your situation, unless the bene was altered while your godfather was not capable of making such decisions, you should not have any problems.

The fact the insurance company already issued a check would tend to show that there has been no contest of the policy bene.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">