• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a parent be banned from child's sporting event

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greyhound14

What is the name of your state? New York

If a parent has done nothing wrong legally, just was told by baseball organization that they are no longer allowed on the premises for past behavior, and this land is owned by the town and is considered part of the parks and recreation system, can they really be banned? Would this not be considered public land? There was never any police involvement, parent was just informed that the "board of directors" made this decision. This person is also a paid member of this organization as their child plays ball there.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

If a parent has done nothing wrong legally, just was told by baseball organization that they are no longer allowed on the premises for past behavior, and this land is owned by the town and is considered part of the parks and recreation system, can they really be banned? Would this not be considered public land? There was never any police involvement, parent was just informed that the "board of directors" made this decision. This person is also a paid member of this organization as their child plays ball there.
Yes, you can be banned based on your past behavior. Even if your boorish behavior broke no laws, it could be a violation of the organization's private rules, or simply disruptive enough that no one should be subjected to a repeat.

quincy

Yes. The parent can be banned from the premises during the sporting events because of their behavior.

Absent any other facts, though, the parent cannot be banned from the park at other times.

The reason organizations like the baseball organization can ban people from public areas is that (typically) these organizations lease the property from parks and recreation departments for use on certain days at certain times. They control the uses during those times.

quincy

On the chance that there might be a defense to the ban.
I don't know what defense could be used. The sports organization can ban anyone over their behavior. They just cannot ban someone for discriminatory reasons - and there is no indication that illegal discrimination is the issue here.

quincy

OK, I admit it. I'm just nosy.
Whenever I think of parents at kids' sporting events, I envision the dads who are filmed attacking the coaches/referees. These events do not always bring out the best in parents, much to the embarrassment of their children I'm sure.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I don't know what defense could be used. The sports organization can ban anyone over their behavior. They just cannot ban someone for discriminatory reasons - and there is no indication that illegal discrimination is the issue here.
Some behavior is more disruptive/less forgivable than others.

There could also be an issue if other parents have engaged in the same bad behavior without being banned.

quincy

Some behavior is more disruptive/less forgivable than others.

There could also be an issue if other parents have engaged in the same bad behavior without being banned.
Maybe. Sports organizations (like employers) can be selective in their enforcement of their rules, however - again, if this selective enforcement does not violate a law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">