• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a police report be cancelled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tpatzo

About 2 months ago my friend called 911 on her bf for assult. Or domestic violence. An hour 2 later she called them back and cancelled the report. Is this possible? She said they gave her a confirmation number. I looked up online if a report can be cancelled it said it can't.

Tpatzo

That's a good question. I think so. I don't know 100 percent. Im pretty sure if 911 was called im assuming they talked to her unless she cancelled it before they got their.

justalayman

She cannot cancel anything. If there was a 911 call concerning domestic violence, even if she called back and said “oh, never mind. Everything is ok”, the police will respond. For all they know the aggressor has a gun to her head telling her to call back and say everything is ok.

Then, once a report is made, it’s there. There could be additions to it even a follow up statement but it doesn’t get “cancelled”.

CdwJava

About 2 months ago my friend called 911 on her bf for assult. Or domestic violence. An hour 2 later she called them back and cancelled the report. Is this possible? She said they gave her a confirmation number. I looked up online if a report can be cancelled it said it can't.
Did the police respond and take a report? I have never heard of a "confirmation number" in these situations, so I am thinking what she received was either a case or report number, or, an incident number. The actual term used might vary by agency, but, incidents reported to the police are generally public records of one stripe or another and cannot simply be shucked aside.

In general, it is not possible - as a matter of law - to "cancel" the report. In other words, it's not going away simply because she wants it to go away. Her desire not to cooperate any longer may be documented in a supplement to the original report, but it is not going to be tossed into the trash can.

commentator

Let me remind you, people will lie to you. "Confirmation number" of the cancellation of the complaint sounds like that as part of this fish-tale, she told you she'd received a confirmation number, like you do when you pay a bill on line, or some such thing. And as you are being told by people who know about this, it doesn't work that way. Whether you are the boyfriend in question, or just an interested bystander, I'd still assume that what she's saying is not exactly accurate.

quincy

If this is, in fact, about the friend in Minnesota and not one of the friends in Arizona, the friend's story has changed from its first telling to Tpatzo.

Tpatzo

Did the police respond and take a report? I have never heard of a "confirmation number" in these situations, so I am thinking what she received was either a case or report number, or, an incident number. The actual term used might vary by agency, but, incidents reported to the police are generally public records of one stripe or another and cannot simply be shucked aside.

In general, it is not possible - as a matter of law - to "cancel" the report. In other words, it's not going away simply because she wants it to go away. Her desire not to cooperate any longer may be documented in a supplement to the original report, but it is not going to be tossed into the trash can.
Yes incident number

Every domestic violence call, no matter how insignificant will generate an incident report, and here's why.
For a male and female relationship most times the female is the victim, it's a sad fact. The male abuses the female and the female calls the police, who if they deem it appropriate arrest the male. The female then often realizes that she has just lost her primary source of income, calls the police and tells them she doesn't want to press charges.
The incident report or the charges won't be 'cancelled', because if they were the male would be released from detention and the police would be called back within the hour.
One of the first things we were taught at the academy is that every domestic dispute is a potential homicide waiting to happen.

quincy

... The female then often realizes that she has just lost her primary source of income, calls the police and tells them she doesn't want to press charges.
The incident report or the charges won't be 'cancelled', because if they were the male would be released from detention and the police would be called back within the hour.
One of the first things we were taught at the academy is that every domestic dispute is a potential homicide waiting to happen.
I agree with most of what you said but I disagree that the loss of income is necessarily the driving force behind a domestic abuse victim's recanting a report of abuse and returning to the abuser.

That is just one reason out of many.

Many victims fear retribution if they don't recant, and wisely so. An abuser often becomes more abusive (and dangerous) after a report of domestic violence has been made.

Many victims believe their abuser will change, or they find excuses for the abuse (e.g., too much alcohol, too tired, too hungry, their sports team lost a game).

Many victims believe they deserve the abusive treatment or it was their fault they were abused, not the fault of the abuser.

A lack of financial resources can certainly play a role - but it is not the only reason a victim recants.

Last edited:
I agree with most of what you said but I disagree that the loss of income is necessarily the driving force behind a domestic abuse victim's recanting a report of abuse and returning to the abuser.

That is just one reason out of many.

Many victims fear retribution if they don't recant, and wisely so. An abuser often becomes more abusive (and dangerous) after a report of domestic violence has been made.

Many victims believe their abuser will change, or they find excuses for the abuse (e.g., too much alcohol, too tired, too hungry, their sports team lost a game).

Many victims believe they deserve the abusive treatment or it was their fault they were abused, not the fault of the abuser.

A lack of financial resources can certainly play a role - but it is not the only reason a victim recants.
True, but from personal experience it's very high on the list along with the victim losing their supply of drugs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">