• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a police report be cancelled?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

While I do agree that it is often domestic violence and fear of further abuse that leads victims to recant, I also support Neil's view that the desire to drop the issue is also often based on economic and other considerations. Keep in mind that frequently these types of incidents occur when both parties are quite intoxicated or otherwise impaired. Common sense and who's employed and whether I really want to break up or want a divorce, or need to change my life, or get sober or what this all may mean to me economically are considerations that come rushing back in when daylight comes. Many abuse victims also need extensive drug and/or alcohol rehab which they may or may not be willing to get when they report such abuse. It's a complicated problem. I also would like to see zero tolerance for abuse, but it comes in many flavors and I'm sure a police officer has seen many of them.

quincy

The victims are as varied as the population as a whole.

I hate to see domestic violence victims lumped into one category, especially a category of drug/alcohol abusers or the financially and educationally disadvantaged.

You can be rich, white, well-educated ... and abused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">