• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a pregnant minor get married with a judicial bypass?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonedav

I'm 16 and pregnant with parents that have not been very supportive. They want to send me to a maternity home, or put me in therapy because they believe I purposely put myself in this stressful situation. The father (also 16) and I plan on staying together, and he's been more than supportive. I understand being pregnant does not consider me emancipated, and that I cannot leave home before I turn 18, here in Texas. I have read that marriage, however, does consider you emancipated. And that the father and I could get a judicial bypass with a proof of pregnancy to get married without my parents consent. Then, I could stay in a more supportive and less stressful environment that would be much better for me and my growing baby. I've done lots of research for weeks now, but I know better than to believe everything I see on the internet, so I would just like to know if it's true, and if it is, how I could make it happen.

jonedav

So..sending me away to keep me out of touch with the father or putting me in therapy because they think I'm insane is a better idea?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So..sending me away to keep me out of touch with the father or putting me in therapy because they think I'm insane is a better idea?
Separating you from the boy may be a smart thing to do. Putting you in to therapy is definitely a smart thing to do. Just as a note: Speaking to a therapist does not mean you're crazy or insane. It just gives you someone to talk to without fear of what you say being repeated to others. If I were you, I would take advantage of every opportunity for help (therapy included) that you are presented with.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not for us to say. However, it is their prerogative. They have a right under the law to parent you as they see fit, and that includes not allowing you and the father to see each other. You do not have a right under the law to see anyone your parents do not want you to see.

Texas law has recently changed. The ONLY way you can get married under 18 is with a court order. It is important for you to understand that there is a long, long way between applying for a court order and getting one. Is is by no means a guarantee that a judge would agree that marriage is the best option available for a knocked-up 16 year old and her equally adolescent Romeo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">