• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a promissory note be excluded from Bankruptsy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyBonJovi

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

Hi. I was wondering if a promissory note can be excluded from Bankruptsy? My ex-boyfriend is willing to sign a promissory note for the $20,000 he owes me in credit card debt, I stupidly allowed him to accumulate. If he signs and then decidees to file for bankruptsy, is there anything i can put in the note to still make him pay on it. Or if he files I'm pretty much screwed? Thanks for any advice offered.:eek:

S

skwirl

What he owes you is an unsecured debt and will most certainly be discharged in bankruptcy regardless of a written agreement. If signing something to that effect would help, you can bet the credit card companies would making everyone sign an agreement before issuing a credit card(not to mention all creditors) and then there wouldn't be such a thing as a bankruptcy.
Very few debts are held sacred when it comes to bankruptcy except some tax liens, ALL student loans(unless you can qualify for hardship, which is near impossible), and many lawsuit judgements against you.

HollyBonJovi

Thank you Skwirl for that bit of info. I didn't think about the fact that creditors would do that if given the opportunity : ) Guess I thought I was on to something : ) Oh well... Thanks for your thoughts.
holly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">