• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a public school teacher make you take off a Tiny Meat Gang hoodie?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TobyH

I live in Connecticut, but I was imagining this would be a Fraser v. Bethel question. One of my friends was wearing this hoodie: [link removed]. The teacher didn't know what it stood for, but because nobody wanted to tell him he assumed it was inappropriate. Tiny Meat Gang is a YouTube musical group, but "tiny meat," of course, refers to a small penis.

Just Blue

I live in Connecticut, but I was imagining this would be a Fraser v. Bethel question. One of my friends was wearing this hoodie: [link removed]. The teacher didn't know what it stood for, but because nobody wanted to tell him he assumed it was inappropriate. Tiny Meat Gang is a YouTube musical group, but "tiny meat," of course, refers to a small penis.
Yes it legal.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The teacher assumed correctly: it is inappropriate.

Refer to the school's dress code. My district has the following clause in its dress code: A student's dress shall not include items that are vulgar, obscene, discriminatory, libelous or denigrate others based on a person’s actual or perceived race, color, weight, national origin, ethnic group, religion, religious practice, gender, sexual orientation, sex or disability. The bolding is mine, for emphasis. Any references to genitalia is pretty much vulgar, even if it just happens to be a musical group's name.

Like, the group choose their name, not knowing the meaning of the phrase? Puhleez! We're old, not stupid.

This is not a free speech issue, and given that the Supreme Court ruling takes precedence over any lower court's ruling on the subject, it is odd that you reference Fraser v. Bethel: the majority opinion was in favor of the school district.

RJR

Since you cite Fraser, either you were told about it and looked it up or just search engined a few key words. Although children do not loose their Constitutional rights at the schoolhouse gate, that does not mean they are free to do what they wish and are protected, period.

Ever hear of the "Bong hits 4 Jesus" case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">