• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a sibling contest a will when the deceased has a spouse and children alive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

destiny2u

What is the name of your state? Louisiana. My dad died in June of this year. He left a will. Leaving his tools and trailors to my brother, and his half ownership in inherited property to me and leaving me everything else. My parents have been seperated for years but no legal seperation papers or anything like that was ever filed. I understand my inhertence as far as the joint property is concerned. But his house he was staying in was inherited from his mother over 3 years ago. I understand that, that property was not considered commt. property. My question is once the succession is filed, which should be next week, can my dad's sisters come in and contest his will or the succession? My siblings nor my mother are going to contest it and we've all came to a prior agreement on the other property. But his two sisters are pulling out all the stops to stop the sell of the house my dad inherited. He only got 50% and the other heirs that got the other 50% are working closely with me and the lawyers on the sell of the house. These two sisters didn't inherit anything from their mothers estate. The one sister has money to hire lawyers, but we've been told she already tried to contest her mothers will and did not succeed. These two woman are evil snakes who have way too much free time on their hands. My dad left me the house for the specific reason that he knew I would stand up to the one sister and NOT let her get the house. Her mother didn't want her to have it and neither did my dad. But I am worried as to what if anything she can do to stop the sale? :confused:

If as evil as you indicate, they can cost you so much money fighting this that there will be nothing left of the estate to be had by anyone.

BelizeBreeze

The legal answer is yes, she can. Whether or not she will succeed is another matter.

if she does context, simply inform the estate's attorney (?) that you want to file a motion to dismiss for lack of standing with all costs taxed to plaintiff.

Then give her the finger.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">