• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a US father be compelled to support a child born overseas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SupportingUncle

Hi Everyone,

I am an American currently living in Thailand and supporting my 5 year old nephew. He was born out of wedlock to an American man and my Thai sister in law. They were living together at the time in Bangkok. The father has since returned to the United States and is living in the Washington D.C. area. (Could be any of the surrounding states or the District of Columbia.) My sister in law is employed as a waitress in Thailand and does not earn sufficient money to support the child. The father has never supported the child or acknowledged him, and broke up with my sister in law upon learning of the pregnancy.

My question is whether or not it is possible to compel the father in the United States to recognize the child and pay support. In order for the child to receive American citizenship, the father must agree to support the child until he is 18. The only way that will happen is if the father is forced to do so by court order.

The financial costs of supporting my nephew currently include school for the child as well as health expenses in addition to food, shelter and clothing. School is not cheap at approximately $5000/year. In addition to citizenship I would like to see the father contribute to those costs. The father is an African American man who was attached to the US government over here on assignment, however it is unclear whether he is an actual government employee or merely works for a contractor who provides services to the US government. Background information is the fact that the boy has dark skin and it will create difficulties for him in Thailand, where dark skin is seriously discriminated against. I love the boy and will do everything I can to help him, but I am not wealthy myself. Furthermore, I am of the firm belief that a boy needs a relationship with his father, even if it is one compelled by a court of law.

Can anyone comment on whether it possible to compel the father to take responsibility for his son under these circumstances, and if so, what would be required to begin the process? Also, if it is possible, can anyone estimate how much it would cost in legal fees to bring this case to court? My sister in law's English is not very good, but she would support any action necessary in this instance. Unfortunately, she does not have visa to go to the United States, and it is unlikely she would qualify for a tourist visa if she applied.

Thank you for any advice or recommendations.

Proserpina

Hi Everyone,

I am an American currently living in Thailand and supporting my 5 year old nephew. He was born out of wedlock to an American man and my Thai sister in law. They were living together at the time in Bangkok. The father has since returned to the United States and is living in the Washington D.C. area. (Could be any of the surrounding states or the District of Columbia.) My sister in law is employed as a waitress in Thailand and does not earn sufficient money to support the child. The father has never supported the child or acknowledged him, and broke up with my sister in law upon learning of the pregnancy.

My question is whether or not it is possible to compel the father in the United States to recognize the child and pay support. In order for the child to receive American citizenship, the father must agree to support the child until he is 18.
That's not even vaguely correct. I have no idea where you got that, but it's not true. Or are you actually suggesting something else?

The financial costs of supporting my nephew currently include school for the child as well as health expenses in addition to food, shelter and clothing. School is not cheap at approximately $5000/year. In addition to citizenship I would like to see the father contribute to those costs.
I'm sure you would like to see that. Alas, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. At all.

The father is an African American man who was attached to the US government over here on assignment, however it is unclear whether he is an actual government employee or merely works for a contractor who provides services to the US government. Background information is the fact that the boy has dark skin and it will create difficulties for him in Thailand, where dark skin is seriously discriminated against. I love the boy and will do everything I can to help him, but I am not wealthy myself. Furthermore, I am of the firm belief that a boy needs a relationship with his father, even if it is one compelled by a court of law.

Can anyone comment on whether it possible to compel the father to take responsibility for his son under these circumstances, and if so, what would be required to begin the process? Also, if it is possible, can anyone estimate how much it would cost in legal fees to bring this case to court? My sister in law's English is not very good, but she would support any action necessary in this instance. Unfortunately, she does not have visa to go to the United States, and it is unlikely she would qualify for a tourist visa if she applied.

Thank you for any advice or recommendations.

Paternity is not established. Without that first important step, nothing else can happen. He's not the father legally, and the child isn't his son legally.

There is another "fix". She can let Dad have custody.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Can anyone comment on whether it possible to compel the father to take responsibility for his son
Perhaps Dad would be more willing to take responsibility if (a) he was legally found to be the father and (b) permitted to raise the child?

But why do I get the impression that the only real interest in Dad being involved is financial?

OHRoadwarrior

You need to figure out what state has control over him. Thailand is not party to the Hague Convention for Child Support. I have provided a link to countries each state recognizes for CS purposes. This link would be enough to start paternity establishment and CS if they recognize Thailand.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/irg-state-map

SupportingUncle

That's not even vaguely correct. I have no idea where you got that, but it's not true. Or are you actually suggesting something else?
I am suggesting nothing else, and that information is entirely correct. It comes directly from the US Embassy in Bangkok. Would you care to explain why you think the US Embassy is incorrect? Or are you suggesting something else? In any case, if you have a legal way to obtain citizenship for the boy that does not require certification by his father of support until he is 18, I am all ears. Please explain your statement.

I'm sure you would like to see that. Alas, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. At all.

Paternity is not established. Without that first important step, nothing else can happen. He's not the father legally, and the child isn't his son legally.

There is another "fix". She can let Dad have custody.
Great. How can he be compelled to take custody of the child? I believe he would be much better off with his father. Please tell me a legal way to make that happen without his cooperation? How can he be compelled to take a paternity test?

SupportingUncle

Perhaps Dad would be more willing to take responsibility if (a) he was legally found to be the father and (b) permitted to raise the child?

But why do I get the impression that the only real interest in Dad being involved is financial?
Most likely because you are a troll.

I have no interest at heart other than the boys. I have been supporting him for several years for no reason other than compassion for an innocent child, and I am willing to spend further money to try and see that he has a relationship in some fashion with his biological father. I think all children deserve that.

If there is anyone with anything constructive to say about how a deadbeat parent in this circumstance can be made to take responsibility for his actions I would be interested in hearing it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mom would need to speakj with an attorney in (presumed) Dad's home state. Yes, Mom.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Most likely because you are a troll.

I have no interest at heart other than the boys. I have been supporting him for several years for no reason other than compassion for an innocent child, and I am willing to spend further money to try and see that he has a relationship in some fashion with his biological father. I think all children deserve that.

If there is anyone with anything constructive to say about how a deadbeat parent in this circumstance can be made to take responsibility for his actions I would be interested in hearing it.
A) Stealth is not a troll.
B) The man is NOT the child's father because MOM has not taken the steps to prove such.
C) Until the man is determined to be the child's father, he has no rights or responsibilities to the child.
D) Why hasn't mom done anything in regards to this child and pursuing paternity rather than relying on her brother to bail her out? Do you consider her a deadbeat for doing that?
Quite frankly, the child's mother bears a great deal of responsibility with this situation. She should not have had sex outside of a marriage relationship if she wanted the protections of marriage when it comes to parenthood.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
D) Why hasn't mom done anything in regards to this child and pursuing paternity rather than relying on her brother to bail her out? Do you consider her a deadbeat for doing that?
Brother-in-law.

Proserpina

Watch your tone. This isn't your business to begin with, and you're more than a little confused.

Go forth and interfere no more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">