• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an autobroker advertise used cars in New York?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

Yes, but there are strict laws in NY about what you can say in your advertisement. Much of the deception that many other states considers harmless puffery, is indeed illegal in NY (things like "under invoice," "below dealer's cost," or "under wholesale." Also claiming sales and liquidations that aren't really so or finance rates that are only applicable only to certain buyers, are forbidden.

You may want to read this: https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/deceptive-auto-advertising and consult an attorney before getting into advertising.

quincy

Can an autobroker advertise used cars in New York?
On a brief look, I see nothing that prevents an auto broker from advertising used cars. There are laws that regulate the automobile broker business in New York that you need to be aware of, though, and as FlyingRon noted, you must be careful how you advertise so as to not deceive consumers.

Here is a link to New York’s DMV on auto brokers:
https://dmv.ny.gov/dealers/automobile-broker-business

There was a bill introduced last year in New York on automobile brokers and dealerships. It is still sitting in the transportation committee. If you are interested in the bill (and it does include a change on advertising) you can read the text of the “Official Document” here: https://www.billtrack50.com/BillDetail/1101261

Last edited:

Broke Broker

Thanks guys. I have gotten the same info and had the same thoughts. Heres the summary of my situation.

Our close family friend owns an auto broker in New York. An associate of his that helped him register and get his license told him he can't advertise used cars. For the past few years he has been not advertising.

Myself, a marketer thought this was crazy. I asked another autobroker owner and he said the same thing, that autobrokers are unable to advertise used cars in New York...

I can't find anything that suggests they can or cannot after almost 6 hours of digging through auto sales forums, New York vehicle laws, etc... He asked me to help him check, I agreed thinking this was gonna be an easy one. haha...

quincy

Thanks guys. I have gotten the same info and had the same thoughts. Heres the summary of my situation.

Our close family friend owns an auto broker in New York. An associate of his that helped him register and get his license told him he can't advertise used cars. For the past few years he has been not advertising.

Myself, a marketer thought this was crazy. I asked another autobroker owner and he said the same thing, that autobrokers are unable to advertise used cars in New York...

I can't find anything that suggests they can or cannot after almost 6 hours of digging through auto sales forums, New York vehicle laws, etc... He asked me to help him check, I agreed thinking this was gonna be an easy one. haha...
I suggest you or your family friend contact the New York Auto Brokers Association and/or an attorney in New York to determine if the advertising of used cars by auto brokers is permitted in New York.

Under New York law, only franchised automobile dealers can sell new vehicles straight from the manufacturer, so I can understand how an auto broker would be prohibited from advertising the sale of new cars. The auto broker works with the dealer to broker the sale so the dealer would be the one advertising. But I see nothing that currently prohibits the advertising of used cars.

Again, your friend should check this out with an attorney in New York before advertising, so he doesn’t inadvertently run afoul of an obscure law. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">