• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer charge you for not giving them health info?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B-rabbit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island - company based in Ohio

I am just curious if what my company is rolling out in 2009 is completely legal. They are instituting a $10 a paycheck charge ($20 a month) on benefits for all employees that do not submit a health assessment and share the results with them. (the health assessment is a basic physical test with bloodwork) To qualify for the $10 to be waived, you must input all of your health results to the company which include your blood pressure, cholesterol level and other health aspects. I believe that this is my personal info, and refuse to share my personal health information with my company just to save me $20 a month on my benefits.

I am most curious on whether this violates my personal rights and the privacy between my doctor and myself. Where I think they skirt the legal tight-rope is that the money is put into a personal "health savings account" rather than going to the bottom line profit of the company.

B-rabbit

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">