• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer make you sign the following is it legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Savertime

TX--Some of the document, no problem but the below I am questioning. It was told that if the employee does not sign (was given this document on Saturday so could not even consult an attorney) by Monday they will be out of a job. Sometimes the work is no fault of the technician but rather equipment was not provided correctly or once the technician comes opens up the there are a can of worms so to speak. Any assitance.

#4 the cost of time, repairing or replacing any company supplies, materials, equipment, money or other property that I may damage, lose, fail to return or take without appropriate authorization from the company during my exmployment. I understand no such deduction will take my pay below minimum wage or if I am a salaried exempt emplyee, redue my salary vbelow its predermined amount.
# 6 says the cost for paid time for mistakes made by me that results inhaving to re-do work.
#7 administrative fees in connections with court-ordered garnishments or legally-required wage attachments of my pay, limited in extent to the amount or amounts allowed under applicable laws.

adjusterjack

It's legal to ask you to sign it.

It's legal to fire you if you don't.

If you sign it you are bound by it and are authorizing the employer to take money out of your paycheck.

It's up to you whether or not to sign it. If you get fired for not signing, you immediately file for unemployment compensation.

LdiJ

It's legal to ask you to sign it.

It's legal to fire you if you don't.

If you sign it you are bound by it and are authorizing the employer to take money out of your paycheck.

It's up to you whether or not to sign it. If you get fired for not signing, you immediately file for unemployment compensation.
I agree, but I personally would never sign something like that. I would be ok with #7, but not #4 or #6.

Mass_Shyster

It’s also legal for you to sign it and start looking for another job.

It’s also legal for you to leave without notice once you’re offered a job by a reasonable employer

LdiJ

It’s also legal for you to sign it and start looking for another job.

It’s also legal for you to leave without notice once you’re offered a job by a reasonable employer
We don't know that the rest of the document does not include clauses about leaving and notice.

ALawyer

Can't give any advice or suggestions about the content without having read the entire document. What you've not included may be critical and we'd be commenting blindly. For example you may have been injured, or discriminated against, and/or a legal action ready to file and the agreement you've been asked to sign may have an arbitration provision that would waive your rights or require you to take the matter to arbitration and thus give up important rights.

Second that's an awfully short time for you to consider, and the inability to have a lawyer review it is troublesome. Second, if you're involved in any other matter with the employer, think twice and then a 3rd time.

Historically has the employer generally been fair and reasonable? If so, even though it is a very short time frame to decide to sign or not to sign, IF you've read it, spoken with colleagues and they also think it is okay, and the terms are acceptable, that's one thing. If the employer has historically screwed its employees that's a wholly different story.

Dandy Don

Do you currently work there or are you considering whether you want to work there?

Ask whoever is presenting you with this document if you can take a copy home and review it before you make a decision (but don't tell them you will be going over it with an employment law attorney).

Have you talked to anyone at this company who is working the same job that you are considering, so that you can find out the pros and cons of working there and how this agreement has affected anyone there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">