• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an employer stop taking federal taxes out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Froglover7687

What is the name of your state? CO
To start, my previous employer entered the wrong number of dependents from my W-9 when I started working there. I wanted two and should have had two, but she put 8. Also, after two paychecks federal taxes was no longer taken out of my checks. I wasn't an accountant and didn't do anything with the bookkeeping for the company so I obviously thought she knew what she was doing. Now that I'm getting ready to file my taxes, it says I owe almost $1200. Is there anything that I can do about it, or am I pretty much stuck with paying the taxes even though it's not my fault that taxes wasn't taken out?

FlyingRon

You mean W-4. W-9 is just a report of your SSN. It has no information such as dependents or anything else that can be used for determining deductions. It's collected by people in an NON EMPLOYER relationship so they can file 1099's if necessary.

The mistake didn't change the amount of taxes you would have paid if done properly or the amount you owe now. The only thing that changed (in your favor actually) is when they were due to paid. Your take home pay should have been less while you paid it as you went. Now you have free use of the money until April 15.

TinkerBelleLuvr

To start, my previous employer entered the wrong number of dependents from my W-9 when I started working there. I wanted two and should have had two, but she put 8. Also, after two paychecks federal taxes was no longer taken out of my checks. I wasn't an accountant and didn't do anything with the bookkeeping for the company so I obviously thought she knew what she was doing. Now that I'm getting ready to file my taxes, it says I owe almost $1200. Is there anything that I can do about it, or am I pretty much stuck with paying the taxes even though it's not my fault that taxes wasn't taken out?
No, there is nothing that you can do about it for 2007. I would suggest highly that you review your W-4 settings for the year.

You can use this site to verify that the amount being taken out of you check at this time is accurate.:
http://www.paycheckcity.com/netpaycalc/netpaycalculator.asp

xylene

1200 dollars is a small tax bill.

As Flying Ron points out, withholding does not change your tax liability.

There are about 12 weeks between now and tax deadline.

Set aside 100 a week and you will be golden. (Or use the time between now and then to get a small loan on favorable terms, but not paying interest is better.)

Get a pro to review your taxes, or at least use a tax software, if you aren't already.

Please note, as a tax payer, the correct calculation and payment of taxes is your direct responsibility. That is to say, you might not be an accountant, but the law expects you to be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">