• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an updated SF 86 get a clearance revoked?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worriedsick59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I was issued a DoD Secret security clearance in June of 2009. Recently, I was given the opportunity to get my Top Secret clearance from another institution, which included a mandatory polygraph test.

Now back in college (which is within the 7 year time period for me) I experimented with marijuana once or twice, but I ended up deciding that the drug wasn't for me and I've never used it again. When I filled out the SF 86 for my original secret clearance, I did not report my drug use out of sheer embarrassment. I justified it because it was so long ago and I never planned on using any controlled substance again.

When doing the paperwork for my top secret clearance, I was confronted with a huge problem. I'm a terrible, horrible liar, and I'm almost certain that my guilty conscious would cause me to fail a polygraph if I was asked a question about any illegal drug use. So in an effort to prevent a denial, I made the tough decision to report my drug use on my updated SF 86.

The forms are mailed in and being processed now, so I can't change my answer. But I'm still torn with a gut-wrenching fear that this will be the end of my career. Is the fact that I lied on my original SF 86 enough for the government to deny me the new clearance? Even worse, will they revoke my old secret clearance? Would I have been better off just sticking with my original story and attempting the polygraph test?

Aside from this poor decision that I made almost two years ago, my SF 86 is totally clean of anything derogatory. Please help me get some peace of mind while I wait to hear back from the agency processing my request.

FlyingRon

You'd have been reinvestigated for the secret sooner or later and they'd have asked you the same question.

You made the correct decision to tell the truth on the form. It's not a guaranteed bust to report it, but if you didn't report it and somehow it came out later that you lied THAT IS.

No. 5

FlyingRon is correct, you did the right thing.

Smoking weed a couple of times in college is not a big deal. Lying to the investigators *is* a big deal.

For what it's worth, they would only ask you about past drug use on the lifestyle poly. If you have the CI poly they don't ask those kinds of questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">