• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can anyone point me to a site where I can read the so-called "Sunshine Law" in FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Phoover1957

Can anyone point me to a site where I can read the so-called "Sunshine Law" in FL

I have heard that there is a "Sunshine Law" in Florida that makes all sort of inter-company correspondence, court records and many other documents subject to public scrutiny. Supposedly it is more research friendly than "freedom of information" laws and other means of acquiring information such as the "Open Records Act". I am especially interested in what research is possible into an insurance company's training and direction of adjusters without the benefit of Subpoena, Deposition, Discovery and Court Orders.

There may be a companion law in other jurisdictions also. Any information would be appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of a state where a publicly appointed consumer watchdog has been made a "Claims Advocate" with investigative powers OUTSIDE the full jurisdiction of that state's Department of Insurance? I do know that some insurers have their own company-appointed claims advocates but I'm looking to see if there are any persons or panels who have been made a part of the public regulatory or oversight fabric that operate separately from Departments of Insurance.

Departments of Insurance are heavily lobbied by insurers and the result has been a huge swing away from policyholders' rights.

Do any states have independent watchdogs to keep DOI's from succumbing to lobby pressure and their appointors from instructing commissioners not to offend the contributors of huge campaign bucks?

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">