• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can CA go after joint bank account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello, I have a CA that is trying to collect about $5k from me, which I am disputing. If the CA does win in court, can they go after my husband's paycheck or our joint bank account? Right now I am pretty much unemployed and have hardly made any money in the last 5+ years since I stay at home to take care of our kids. Would a judge force me to get a regular job to pay off the debt?

Thank you for any help you can provide...

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello, I have a CA that is trying to collect about $5k from me, which I am disputing. If the CA does win in court, can they go after my husband's paycheck or our joint bank account? Right now I am pretty much unemployed and have hardly made any money in the last 5+ years since I stay at home to take care of our kids. Would a judge force me to get a regular job to pay off the debt?

Thank you for any help you can provide...
Yes once there is a judgement the judgement creditor can go after your joint bank account. Your husbands wages cannot be garnished, and you SHOULD get a regular job to pay off YOUR debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">