• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Child support be obtained if the stepfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

posthumous

dear sir or mamm

I currently reside in Tennesse I have a child with an ex-girlfriend. She has remarried several times and two years ago she petitioned me for adoption rights for her latest hubby. They live in North Carolina and now two years after I consented to adoption and was told by the child's mother that she no longer required my support I am being sued for the arrears for the last two years. My question is which state laws does this fall under and and can I not argue putative adoption over the last two years and keep from having to pay the amount in arrears? If I can show proof that they drew money from the military for support for her would that not constitute a relief of back payments?

holding on by a thread
posthumous

L

LadyBlu

posthumous said:
dear sir or mamm

I currently reside in Tennesse I have a child with an ex-girlfriend. She has remarried several times and two years ago she petitioned me for adoption rights for her latest hubby. They live in North Carolina and now two years after I consented to adoption and was told by the child's mother that she no longer required my support I am being sued for the arrears for the last two years. My question is which state laws does this fall under and and can I not argue putative adoption over the last two years and keep from having to pay the amount in arrears? If I can show proof that they drew money from the military for support for her would that not constitute a relief of back payments?

holding on by a thread
posthumous
Your financial obligation ceased to exist when you signed over your paternal rights. Do you know if it actually went through? The adoption? I would request proof from the ex that the child was legally adopted by the step father to insure that your rights are not trampled on.

LegalBeagle

LadyBlu said:
posthumous said:
dear sir or mamm

holding on by a thread
posthumous
Your financial obligation ceased to exist when you signed over your paternal rights. Do you know if it actually went through? The adoption? I would request proof from the ex that the child was legally adopted by the step father to insure that your rights are not trampled on.
That is not strictly true.. he was financially obligated until the adoption was approved by a judge. Just because he signed a letter approving the adoption does not mean it all ends at that point.

Our poster needs to find out the status of the adoption. If it has not gone through yet, then find out why. Threaten to petition for visitation if it has not and that you fully intent to start taking an interest in the childs life. You will be amazed what effect that will have on the mother. Also, if it has not gone through and the mother still wants it, then tell her you will now oppose the adoption if she continues with the petition for CS arrears. That you want legal papers stating you owe nothing.

The mother wanted this adoption and it is wrong to have either not completed it or suddenly start demanding CS arrears. Our poster was also wrong for not ensuring it was followed through and completed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">