• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Collections Make Unauthorized Withdrawals from My Checking Account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bj21

What is the name of your state? NY

I have had a Credit Card with Capital One for many years and recently have fallen behind in payments due to a severe change in my financial situation.

On 5/6/2008 Capital One Collections submitted a $300.00 "Virtual Check" to my banks checking account taking my existing $19.00 balance down to MINUS $281.00.

This "Virtual Check" was NOT authorized by me and I figure the way they got my checking account information was because when I was making payments, many times I paid online, which necessitated me giving Capital One my Checkin Account Info.

On 5/7/2008, my bank reversed the check, I assume due to lack of funds.

What I would like to know is... How can they do this without authorization?
Is it legal?
How can I stop it?
What else can I do about it?

I have not yet been hit with overdraft fees but I'm sure they'll hit in a day or two.

Any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Check out what you agreed to when you made your prior "virtual payments"

bj21

When you get to the page were it asks you to approve a payment, it says

"By clicking the "Approve" button, I hereby authorize CapitalOne to initiate an electronic debit to my payment account in the amount listed above. I understand that this is a one-time authorization and must be completed each time I wish to make a payment."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">