• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can companies legally do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jkhalbe

What is the name of your state? PA

Ok, so I applied for an inside sales job (meaning i sit on the phone and call people all the time). I got a call from the HR person and she wanted to ask me a few questions about me.

One of those questions was, "Do you smoke?"

I said, "Yes"

And she replied, "well thank you for your time but we have a no smoking policy that states people who are employed with us can not smoke. Have a nice day."

Can companies do that? I was completely amazed.

this was 20 minutes ago when it happened.

Beth3

Probably. Only a few States prohibit discrimination in employment practices due to the "use of lawful products while off-duty" (i.e. tobacco and alcohol.)

I'll see if I can find anything like that in PA reg's. If I can, I'll post back.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I can't find anything in PA regs that would prohibit this and smoking is definitely not protected at the Federal level so I would have to say yes, at least in your state the company can do that legally.

jkhalbe

wow that's unbelievable...i should call her back and tell her i just quit smoking!

lol

Thanks for help..if you do come across anything let me know.

Beth3

I found the same thing as cbg. There's a list of all of PA's State reg's at this site http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=185&q=56262&landiNav=|and I don't see anything that offers smokers any protections.

jkhalbe

Son of a gun....I live in Montgomery County and this job is in Montgomery County.

I could picture the CEO being some sort of tree-hugger, so perhaps i don't want that job, especially if he is gonna look down on me when I eat a nice big steak for lunch

jkhalbe said:
Son of a gun....I live in Montgomery County and this job is in Montgomery County.

I could picture the CEO being some sort of tree-hugger, so perhaps i don't want that job, especially if he is gonna look down on me when I eat a nice big steak for lunch
It's actually more about the health insurance premiums than anything else. Companies pay more for employees who smoke. So, until smoking becomes a protected class, the companies can legally do this. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">