• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can complain about a job title change cause a layoff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mary Lou

I was hired at a low salary. After a year I had a very good job performance review with a 3% salary raise My new salary is still below the salary range for my job title. I discovered my job title when I was hired was changed to a lower position without notify me. My salary now falls within the range of the new lower position. I want to complain but I am afraid that they will terminate me. I am over 50, female asian. I do not belong to a union. If I complain and the company terminates me, do I have a legal recourse. I am really worried. Thanks.

Mary Lou

A

Attorney_Replogle

I don't know which state you live in, so I can only give advice based on general employment law and or California's, which is where I practice. From what you say, it is not likely that you have a legal right to sue the company for any recognized discrimination taken against you. If your state has a law similar to California's Labor Code Sections 970-972 (a local attorney that you consult with can look those up for you on the Internet), you may have a cause to sue. That law prohibits employers from causing employees or potential employees to move their residence in order to take a job, and defrauding them with respect to the terms or conditions or employment. To find a labor law attorney near you, go to attorneypages.com.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

M

Mary Lou

Thanks for your reply to my questions. The company headquarters is in WISCONSIN, but I am working in their California division. The problem is my title has been demoted and as a result my salary range has been lowered. I don't want this title demotion and I want to complain. If I complain and if the company then terminates me, do I have legal recourse in California? I am an Asian female and over 50 and I am worried about getting another job. Thanks again.

Mary Lou

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">