• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can contested divorce filed by Indian wife, delay my employment based greencard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pun123456

My employer filed for green card 7 years ago. I got married in 2016 to an Indian girl while I was on H1B and she came to USA on H4.i paid her insurance and taxes.she left for india in feb 2017 and filed for divorce .my father is appearing in Indian court on my behalf. I am apprehensive about my green card.will USCIS ask me to finalize my divorce as a condition to get green card. If I keep on telling them that I am still married then will I be asked for my wife presence proof?I got my H1b renewed twice for three years each time but this time my H1b got renewed for one year till October 2018

FlyingRon

If she is not in the US any longer, it shouldn't be an issue. Frankly, even if she was in the US, it shouldn't be an issue unless there's something criminal going on or the marriage wasn't in good faith to begin with.

SMS3ACE

My employer filed for green card 7 years ago. I got married in 2016 to an Indian girl while I was on H1B and she came to USA on H4.i paid her insurance and taxes.she left for india in feb 2017 and filed for divorce .my father is appearing in Indian court on my behalf. I am apprehensive about my green card.will USCIS ask me to finalize my divorce as a condition to get green card. If I keep on telling them that I am still married then will I be asked for my wife presence proof?I got my H1b renewed twice for three years each time but this time my H1b got renewed for one year till October 2018
Until the divorce is finalized, you are married to a non-us citizen. She left the United States or is in the united states does not matter.

Divorce has no impact on your green card application unless the marriage and divorce was not in good faith. Don't stress yourself. Finalize the divorce and continue your employment like you did before. USCIS does not need to know about a pending divorce. If you need further assistance or specific, you should speak to an immigration attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">