• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can DC landlord file emergency motion without providing proof of emergency to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anglesweet

My landlord in D.C. claimed that there is an emergency leaking issue from an apartment below and asking to enter my unit.
This happened more than a week ago. Meanwhile, I checked via video with the super and found no leakage on my end. I also requested multiple times for evidence (photos) to show the severity level, if it is caused by my unit, and if that unit is in a non-livable condition, as well as provided video check again with a plumber.

They rejected all my inquires and just let an attorney send an email stating they are not required to send any photos of another tenant’s unit as a condition of obtaining access to my unit to resolve an issue affecting other units. If I do not let them in, they will file an emergency motion to seek access.

I already gave notice terminating my lease in a month and do not want to let them in without any proof of emergency under the pandemic situation.
Will they be able to file the motion and obtain permission to enter? Will the entire process (including hearing) take longer than a month? Will a result of the motion against me affect my personal record in any way?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Just Blue

My landlord claimed that there is an emergency leaking issue from an apartment below and asking to enter my unit.
This happened more than a week ago. Meanwhile, I checked via video with the super and found no leakage on my end. I also requested multiple times for evidence (photos) to show the severity level, if it is caused by my unit, and if that unit is in a non-livable condition, as well as provided video check again with a plumber.

They rejected all my inquires and just let an attorney send an email stating they are not required to send any photos of another tenant’s unit as a condition of obtaining access to my unit to resolve an issue affecting other units. If I do not let them in, they will file an emergency motion to seek access.

I already gave notice terminating my lease in a month and do not want to let them in without any proof of emergency under the pandemic situation.
Will they be able to file the motion and obtain permission to enter? Will the entire process (including hearing) take longer than a month? Will a result of the motion against me affect my personal record in any way?

Thank you in advance.
What state?

quincy

My landlord in D.C. claimed that there is an emergency leaking issue from an apartment below and asking to enter my unit.

Thank you in advance.
Your landlord has the right to enter your unit after giving you notice. The landlord does not have to provide you with photos of the unit below yours.

You can request that anyone who enters your unit wear masks if you are going to be present. You might want to use Clorox Wipes or something similar to clean doorknobs and areas likely to be touched by maintenance workers. Make sure to wash your own hands.

FarmerJ

yes clean things like door knobs , light switches bathroom and kitchen counters and other areas they may have handled in order to try to find if its something like say a J trap leaking under your tub, Just so you know too even a wax ring for toilet can leak with out symptoms for some time same with connections hidden in a wall like buildings that had been remodled but had some parts of the old plumbing lines left in use and even your bathtubs drain assembly can leak with out you ever knowing it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">