• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can eBay overrule themselves on promised claim refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troops

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I bought a cell phone on eBay. The battery was bad, something the seller didn't mention. The seller wouldn't take it back, so I opened a case with eBay. eBay found in my favor and told me to return the phone. They closed the case early. I appealed and eBay admitted their mistake and told me they would issue a refund. When I didn't get the refund, I contacted them and was told another department had reversed the decision and I would not receive a refund. They did not say the representative that initially promised a refund was not authorized to do so, just that someone else reversed the decision.

Are they allowed to deny a promised refund or are they bound by their initial decision?

Thank you in advance.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I bought a cell phone on eBay. The battery was bad, something the seller didn't mention. The seller wouldn't take it back, so I opened a case with eBay. eBay found in my favor and told me to return the phone. They closed the case early. I appealed and eBay admitted their mistake and told me they would issue a refund. When I didn't get the refund, I contacted them and was told another department had reversed the decision and I would not receive a refund. They did not say the representative that initially promised a refund was not authorized to do so, just that someone else reversed the decision.

Are they allowed to deny a promised refund or are they bound by their initial decision?

Thank you in advance.
They are not bound by the initial decision. What were the reasons given for the decision to deny your refund?

troops

They claimed I didn't return it on time. Though they're the ones that closed the case before the end date listed in the emails they sent me regarding the return. They also totally ignored their extended Covid return policy, claiming that only applies when the seller grants the return. Though their published policy doesn't say that.

The rep that granted my appeal agreed with me. Though it was later overturned, as I said. I think eBay pays out of their own pocket for granted appeals, so it could be they just don't want to pay for their mistake.

troops

Yes. When eBay closed the case early, I wasn't going to return it and be out my money and the phone. When eBay granted my appeal, I was waiting to hear from them about returning the phone. They knew the phone hadn't been returned, and they never provided me with a new address label to return the phone, a request to return it, or a way to enter tracking if I returned it on my own. When they overturned the decision, they never said we gave you a second chance and you still didn't return the phone. They just said it wasn't returned on time and the original decision stands.

I'd happily return the phone, even pay the return postage myself, if I knew I would get my money back for the phone.

troops

Yes. I was hoping to avoid the repair shop or Post Office, but it looks like I may have no choice. I have immune system issues, so I try to go out only when necessary. That's why I didn't return the phone immediately. I never thought eBay would close the case early.

Thanks for the advice.

quincy

It is always a risk to buy used items on eBay. They generally are sold as is, buyer beware.

Thanks for the thanks. Good luck.

zddoodah

eBay found in my favor and told me to return the phone. They closed the case early. I appealed
If eBay found in your favor, why would you appeal? And to whom did you appeal?

Your relationship with eBay is governed by its terms of service. Well over a decade ago, I printed and read through the entirety of eBay's TOS. My recollection is that it was pretty close to 100 printed pages, and I have no idea how long it is now, but I have no desire to read through it. That said, just because Employee X tells you that Company will do something does not necessarily bind Company (even if Employee X is the president of Company X). There's nothing at all improper about a business entity changing its mind or Employee Y reversing the decision of Employee X.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If eBay found in your favor, why would you appeal? And to whom did you appeal?
Read the whole post.

That said, just because Employee X tells you that Company will do something does not necessarily bind Company (even if Employee X is the president of Company X). There's nothing at all improper about a business entity changing its mind or Employee Y reversing the decision of Employee X.
Not necessarily true. If the person relied upon the representation, then there could be a problem. In this case, the OP failed to do anything, so there is no detrimental reliance at this point.

quincy

troops still has the phone. In order to get the refund, he needed to send the phone back to the seller.

Adding the cost of a replacement battery to the cost troops paid for the used phone undoubtedly will not make the phone a good deal but at least it should be a useable phone.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Adding the cost of a replacement battery to the cost troops paid for the used phone undoubtedly will not make the phone a good deal but at least it should be a useable phone.
Depends on the phone. Some phone batteries can be purchased. in the $20-$30 range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">