• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer deny reimburse of expenses billable to customer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pintoo.Albert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am working for an Employer registered in Texas. I am deputed to work as a contractor at a customer location in Oregon. For all purpose Oregon laws apply here.

I was required to travel to California as requested by the customer.

The travel policy at the customer location is that the contract employee will arrange travel through his employer and the employer company will bill the expenses to customer.

I traveled after approval from my immediate manager and the delivery head. All expenses borne by me as it was on a very short notice and my employer normally reimburses the expenses after I submitt the bills.

This time the expenses were not reimbursed citing some internal policy. However they are going to bill the amount to the customer.

My question is can the company bill the customer for the amount I spent and still not reimburse me? Can I take any legal action against my employer?

ecmst12

You are a contractor, so whatever is in your contract will apply. If your contract says you should be reimbursed, then you can sue them in small claims court. Expect to find another job after that.

pattytx

By "contractor", do you mean Independent Contractor? If so, ecmst's answer is on the money.

Reason I'm asking is that often posters say "contractor" when they mean they've gotten a gig through a staffing agency and they are, in fact, employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">