• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer enforce tuition repayment if they haven't to prior employees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

95wave

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I'm leaving my company and am required to re-pay 12months back for tuition. I know some will say I agreed to the deal just pay it...but part of me is annoyed because several others have left and no action was taken to collect money other than keeping their last paycheck. I don't think a corporate policy is fair when it is applied randomly.

What should I do?

justalayman

how do you know there has been no other action against the other employees by the employer to collect such fees?

mlane58

I'm leaving my company and am required to re-pay 12months back for tuition. I know some will say I agreed to the deal just pay it...but part of me is annoyed because several others have left and no action was taken to collect money other than keeping their last paycheck. I don't think a corporate policy is fair when it is applied randomly.

What should I do?
Regardless of what happened to the other employees, you made a committment, just as the employer did, so why shouldn't you hold up your end? or do you find it easy to not repay what people lend you?

95wave

I know for a fact no further action was taken as I work in accounting and their tuition was written off.

I don't have a problem paying it back but I don't see that some should have to and some shouldn't, what type of policy is that?

xylene

I don't have a problem paying it back but I don't see that some should have to and some shouldn't, what type of policy is that?
The agreement is between the company and you.

What they did with others is not relevant, they have the right to do it to you.

If you signed an agreement to repay, you have scant argument, no matter what others did and what they signed.

Can you claim that you being made to repay is because you are black or some other racist thing or another? Any other illegal discrimination...

Get the point.

justalayman

95wave;2536754]I know for a fact no further action was taken as I work in accounting and their tuition was written off.
well. that's good enough for me:rolleyes:

it is a policy based on favoritism which is legal. If you have no problem paying it back, you wouldn't be asking your question here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, an employer can enforce tuition repayment if they haven't to prior employees.

Next question?

Term of reimbursement Clause

What should I do?
Usually in the contract of employement you signed, there is a term clause for tuition reimbursement within which, the employee must remain with the company in order to avoid any breach of such contract. In my past experiences, one year after such payment toward tuition is made, can the employee, be free to leave w/o any consequences.

I think it is fair, since the employer invested in you, but where is its ROI (return on investment)? You decided to use the knowledge paid for by one company and capitalized on it by, I am pretty sure, going to an other for higher $$. Fair is fair, pay up.

As previously stated by the other members, you wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on by referring to someone else's predicament; it would be hear se.

Sorry!

eerelations

The OP's lack of legal legs has nothing whatsoever to do with hearsay and everything to do with the fact that employers are legally free to enforce/not enforce their contracts and policies with whomever they choose.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">