• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can employer force me to take Dental Ins.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MellowCat

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was just informed that I am required to enroll in my office's dental insurance program. It will cost me nothing, but I don't want the coverage, as I am covered under my husband's plan (same insurance carrier, incidentally) and our benefits thru his plan are better. The benefits on my employer's plan will increase to being equivalent to my husband's plan in one year. The rep said the 2 plans will "coordinate" to, between the two of them, pay the equivalent "better" benefit. What this means to me is means I will be paying the same premiums as always on my husband's plan, yet they will be only be required to pay the difference of what my primary plan doesn't pay. In addition, more paperwork for me and more of a hassle. How can they force me to enroll in the plan if I don't want it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Many group insurance contracts require a 100% participation ratio in order to be valid. Since you are not paying anything for the coverage, it's legal. If they were requiring you to pay a portion of the premium, I believe they would have to allow you to opt out.

The only out I can see for you is IF the carrier will accept a "spousal waiver" meaning proof that you already have coverage. It can't hurt to ask.

MellowCat

cbg said:
Many group insurance contracts require a 100% participation ratio in order to be valid. Since you are not paying anything for the coverage, it's legal. If they were requiring you to pay a portion of the premium, I believe they would have to allow you to opt out.

The only out I can see for you is IF the carrier will accept a "spousal waiver" meaning proof that you already have coverage. It can't hurt to ask.
Thanks for your prompt response. The MetLife insurance "sign-up lady" was at work today, well...signing everyone up when I explained that I have a policy thru MetLife thru my husband and that I wasn't interested in joining my employers MetLife because of the reasons I mentioned. She didn't offer me the "spousal waiver" so I assume they don't allow it. I am not very happy about this. They get two times the premiums yet there are no extra benefits for me, just more headaches. Guess I'll call the Waaaaambulance. Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">