• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Employer require you to use their health insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KSU

What is the name of your state? Kansas
Is it legal for my employer (a school district) to require every certified full-time employee hired after 1998 to use their health insurance year after year? They take $82 out of my paycheck every month.....and I am already covered through my husband's health insurance. Both use Blue Cross Blue Shield.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it's legal.

It may be that your employer's contract with BCBS calls for 100% participation. This is often the case with smaller groups.

Sometimes, but not always, when there is a 100% participation guarantee, the carrier will allow an employee to opt out as long as they provide proof of other coverage. You might try asking about this. Ask someone at BCBS, not your employer. Obviously if this is the case, your employer is not aware of it or they would not be holding you to the coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">