• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can F1 student start a business in home country?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aswin01

Hi, I am an F1 student from Texas, Currently on OPT. Can I start a new Business in my home country India? And am I allowed to get income to my Indian Account (from the new business) while I am working in US.

If you are a full time student and on OPT I'm surprised you can find the time to start a business back in India while still in the US. Just out of interest what sort of business are you considering starting?

FlyingRon

We know what OPT is. However, the point of it is not to draw out your US presence while you putter around on other activities. You're expected to do your training and leave.

xylene

We know what OPT is. However, the point of it is not to draw out your US presence while you putter around on other activities. You're expected to do your training and leave.
OPT can be pre or post graduate...

OPT - Eligible students can apply to receive up to 12 months of OPT employment authorization with how that is used up calculated pre and post grad) if a STEM dregee he could have 24 month on top of that under given and largely easy to meet conditions. The hour requirements whatever the case are extremely flexible.

The OP starting a business (or otherwise earning foreign income) in his home country appears to not bar him from OPT.

If anything engaging in these business activities testify to the OP's nonimmigrant status.

Of course like anything immigration related in these times, the OP needs to confirm this with an immigration lawyer because of the new strictness on any overstay and on visa conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">