• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Georgia suspend my licence if it has been canceled in Virginia?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bmarshall8508

Short answer based on your thread title...Yes. They can and should do this.
Ive lived in and had a valid Georgia license for 5 years. I went to renew my license and was told my Virginia license was canceled. It's due to an accident I got in 15 years ago and had to pay a law firm the money I got sued for, I'm guessing that's what they are, I was 19 at the time.. well i paid a deposit of $1000 and was making monthly payments until I couldn't get them to send me a statement of what I was paying and how much I owed, when i stopped paying they sent me my balance and it really hadn't changed because of the crazy interest. Anyways they canceled my Virgina license for that and now I'm back in the same boat with having to pay $1000 plus reinstatement to get my license in Va straight before I can renew my Ga or it will be suspended. I don't have that kind of money right now and I'm scared of losing my license, I'm a single mom that needs to work. Is there anyway possible I can fight this? And would there be a statue of limitations on a judgement for an accident that happened 15 years ago?

justalayman

Are we to presume you lived in Virginia 15 years ago and had a drivers license there and then issued from Virginia?

Did the other party sue you and obtain the judgment or was it their insurance company or somebody else?

Why were you paying a law firm?

A very quick look shows it would appear the statute of limitations is 20 years but can be renewed for another 20 years. That may not make much difference though. Depending on the laws of Virginia, it may be as simple as your license is suspended until you pay the debt. I haven’t checked that aspect. It’s more of a guess based on what I know of some other states.

FlyingRon

Eh? The term is duration of judgment, not statute of limitations. If it was issued in Virginia, it's 10 years, with a single 10-year renewal. Just because the judgment has gone stale doesn't mean Virginia releases the block on the license automatically. You still likely need to go to the DMV and clear it.

Yep, the NDR (which all states participate in now), is catching a lot of people. If you are marked INELIGIBLE in one state, you'll find it impossible to obtain (or renew) in other states.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">