• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can homeowner associations contribute to political campaign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantcook

We are in Maryland and our homeowner association (HOA) fund is running quite a significant surplus now, due to past year over collection and under spending.
Can we contribute to our local political campaign and lobby?
Like contribute a super pac.

Not sure this is the right forum to post.

LdiJ

We are in Maryland and our homeowner association (HOA) fund is running quite a significant surplus now, due to past year over collection and under spending.
Can we contribute to our local political campaign and lobby?
Like contribute a super pac.

Not sure this is the right forum to post.
You would have to check your bylaws carefully but I am going to guess that the answer would be no. I am guessing that you are required to save the money for future expenses, or reduce the monthly amounts the homeowners have to pay until the budget stabilizes. I suspect that you might have some very angry homeowners if you used the money to make political contributions, particularly if it was to a candidate that they opposed.

FarmerJ

If I were one of your association neighbors and I found out you wasted money on a political campaign Id likely be very angry with all of you no matter who the PAC was supporting and would seriously consider talking to a attorney about going after those who approved and spent that money that way since I am quite positive no one has looked hard enough to find projects to vote on to do and that also includes just saving every penny in case something big comes up or maybe even refunding the money.

quantcook

If I were one of your association neighbors and I found out you wasted money on a political campaign Id likely be very angry with all of you no matter who the PAC was supporting and would seriously consider talking to a attorney about going after those who approved and spent that money that way since I am quite positive no one has looked hard enough to find projects to vote on to do and that also includes just saving every penny in case something big comes up or maybe even refunding the money.
Completely agree. Everyone in the neighborhood has a different political taste, I have to make that assumption.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">