• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I adopt my minor brother?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yulka

HI, I live in Maryland.
Is it possible to adopt my minor brother (14 years) who is in Kazakhstan. The reason to this is that, my perents have a permanent residens here in US, but he can't come with them because he has to has separate case which can take from 4- 12 years of waithing.
Please let me know if it is possible.
Thanks a lot.
Yulka

what type of visas have you tried getting

you may do better posting this in the immigration forum but here goes.
BUT you have to be a US Citizen for the F4 or your parents for the IR. This is the link for Family Visa's

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1306.html
for your parents if they are US Citizens
Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens (IR): The spouse, widow(er) and unmarried children under 21 of a U.S. citizen, and the parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 or older.

If you are a US Citizen
Family Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of United States citizens, and their spouses and children, provided the U.S. citizens are at least 21 years of age. (65,000)

Here is another link that should help.
http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/info/info_449.html

But cut and dry you don't qualify for either of the 2 requirments for overseas adoption. As your brother doesn't qualify for adoption under US Law your best bet would be for the IR or F4 Visas I explained earlier.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">