• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I as Trustee, evict deadbeat brother, and deduct rent, expenses, and attorneys fees from inheritance ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Asat

So here's the story . My brother has lived with my mother the last 12 years. He hasn't worked at all or tried to find a job. My mother paid for all the bills except for his personal things. He claims to have been her caretaker, but we had an aid in there the last year when she actually really needed help. She passed away in November. The house and a small amount of cash, roughly $25,000 was in a trust for the four siblings including myself, the sole trustee. The trust says to liquidate the assets and distribute proceeds between the siblings and does not have any provisions for him to stay in the house. It also has a clause that says if anyone contests the trust, they forfeit their share. A month after my mother died the three siblings had an oral agreement with my brother that he would move out within the next 3 months and the trust would advance him $10,000 to make the move as he had no money. We came up with that number figuring that we would need the other $15,000 to pay the bills while still maintaining the house, and use the rest to prepare the house for sale. We also agreed that he would pay half the expenses for the house for the time while he was there and if he went over the three months he would pay a per diem charge of $125/day until he got out. When I sent him the written stipulations , he got cold feet and would not sign. I immediately proceeded with an attorney to have him evicted as I knew it would take at least 3 months anyway. I told him even though we were going this route, the money would still be available to him if he finds somewhere to relocate and that the eviction process was strictly there to put a fire under his ass.
Fast forward to now, 2 months later, he has somehow been able to borrow money for an attorney. At the first court date , they ask for an adjournment and now his attorney is saying he wants another six months and $20,000, not as an advance, but payment from the other siblings. He says that if we don't agree, he will fight it and tie us up in Court for years. His original agreement was to be out by the end of March. We are having a sit-down this week with the attorneys, my brother and myself to try and hammer it out. My two questions are,
1-How long and far can they really push this with the Courts etc .
2-Can I use as leverage, that as trustee, he will be billed out of his inheritance for rent and all expenses on the house while he has been there without my mother, and my attorneys fees. And is there anything else I can use for leverage as Trustee
BTW, house is located in New York, Suffolk county Long island, and worth roughly $300,000 with no mortgage.
Thank you for all your help in advance!
Living in trustee hell

Report Edit Delete

TrustUser

i would think you would have quite a bit of clout, as the trustee

it is your legal responsibility to live up to the instructions in the trust.

and the trust gives you the power to forfeit someone's share, if they are not going along with those instructions

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
1-How long and far can they really push this with the Courts etc .
Without knowing what kind of claims they would make and all the details of the trust, potentially the litigation could take a year or more. If the claims lack merit, potentially you could get it kicked out of court within a few months. You'd need a lawyer to look at the complaint that is filed to tell you what you may expect.

2-Can I use as leverage, that as trustee, he will be billed out of his inheritance for rent and all expenses on the house while he has been there without my mother, and my attorneys fees.
Not unless the trust specifically says that you can make those deductions from his share. Otherwise, the trust needs to sue him and get a judgment against him and then it could use the judgment to charge against his share of the trust.

I suggest you consult a trust lawyer in the state where the trust is domiciled for advice on your options.

LdiJ

Without knowing what kind of claims they would make and all the details of the trust, potentially the litigation could take a year or more. If the claims lack merit, potentially you could get it kicked out of court within a few months. You'd need a lawyer to look at the complaint that is filed to tell you what you may expect.

Not unless the trust specifically says that you can make those deductions from his share. Otherwise, the trust needs to sue him and get a judgment against him and then it could use the judgment to charge against his share of the trust.

I suggest you consult a trust lawyer in the state where the trust is domiciled for advice on your options.
The trust can and should cover the attorney fees associated with fighting it out with his brother. However that means taking it out of everybody's share.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Observation: this is a very modest estate. For context, $300K is significantly below the median home value in Suffolk County New York.
$25K does not go far if you are paying legal fees, property taxes, etc.

How long will the lawyer drag this out? Well, the lawyer is not likely to work any longer than he's paid to.

You need to get a lawyer. (A lawyer can also more definitively tell you whether your brother's actions rise to the level of "contesting the trust".)

Additionally, you need to get documentation (photos, appraisal) of the condition the house is in now. While a sensible person would try to maintain the house to maximize its sale value, and therefore ones share, some people are petty. If there is any intentional damage to the house between now and when you are able to sell it, that needs to be documented.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">