• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I ask the court to reduce fine for a speeding ticket due to financial hardship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twistermom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hello, I am an unemployed mother of three who is wondering if I can claim financial hardship to have a speeding ticket reduced. The presumptive fine on the ticket is $320. I currently have $800 in my checking account and $75 in my savings account and am receiving SNAP benefits. I am guilty of speeding and am wondering if the court will take into account my financial standing to reduce the fine amount. I am a full-time student at a community college and will have no more income until I receive a financial aid check in October. I have been sick with guilt and worry over this and am just wondering if financial hardship is something that the judge can take into account to reduce the fine amount, and if so, what proof I need to present to the court. I will have to mail in a letter since the court is in another county 2 hours from my home.

Just Blue

Hello, I am an unemployed mother of three who is wondering if I can claim financial hardship to have a speeding ticket reduced. The presumptive fine on the ticket is $320. I currently have $800 in my checking account and $75 in my savings account and am receiving SNAP benefits. I am guilty of speeding and am wondering if the court will take into account my financial standing to reduce the fine amount. I am a full-time student at a community college and will have no more income until I receive a financial aid check in October. I have been sick with guilt and worry over this and am just wondering if financial hardship is something that the judge can take into account to reduce the fine amount, and if so, what proof I need to present to the court. I will have to mail in a letter since the court is in another county 2 hours from my home.
Yes. You can ask the court to take more pity on your children than you did.

quincy

The judge, at his discretion, can raise or lower a fine (within statutory limits), or the judge can okay a request for a payment schedule, for those who can show the amount of the fine would be a financial hardship. You should have with you in court proof of income and expenses.

See Oregon Revised Statute 1.200 et seq: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/1.200

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">