• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged for attempting to call emergency?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agabba

One of my friends was really sick and upset. Next day he did not respond to text or calls. We almost called emergency in the evening but he called back right in time. Now he's really mad and says that I tried to force him to hospital and I committed a crime for harassment.

(NY)

Last edited:

quincy

One of my friends was really sick and upset. Next day he did not respond to text or calls. We almost called emergency in the evening but called back right in time. Now he's really mad and says that I tried to force him to hospital and I committed a crime for harassment.

(NY)
Your friend should be thanking you for showing concern for his well-being. He has no case for harassment, based strictly on what you have said here.

xylene

Something you 'almost' did is not a crime.

Calling Emergency Services for someone you believe is in danger to themselves or other people and you really reasonably believe that is not harassment either.

agabba

Your friend should be thanking you for showing concern for his well-being. He has no case for harassment, based strictly on what you have said here.
Under what circumstances would it be criminal? He claims what I did to him caused immense distress

quincy

Under what circumstances would it be criminal? He claims what I did to him caused immense distress
It could rise to the level of harassment if you actually call the police or EMTs on a regular basis to do welfare checks.

A single "thought' of calling is nowhere close to harassment.

CdwJava

If the police can respond for welfare checks on calls where students vent to social media or via text they are stressed during midterms and want to kill themselves, then THINKING about calling is not a problem at all. And, yes, University police get those calls all the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">