• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Worried TX

A person has sought counseling for a sex offense that happened nearly ten years ago. Since that time I have served time and am on parole from a different case. The person does not want to press charges, just get counseling. They are a minor. Can I be charged in the case even though they do not want to press charges? Do they have to speak to the police?


grossed out

Are you saying that you had sexual contact with someone who was less than 8 years old ten years ago? That is so sick. I don't know what the statute of limitations is for your particular sex crime and I don't know what the local DA's policy is whether or not a the victim need be the complaining witness in order that you be charged. But I would think (and hope) that the child's PARENTS can (and will) press charges!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential