• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Worried TX

A person has sought counseling for a sex offense that happened nearly ten years ago. Since that time I have served time and am on parole from a different case. The person does not want to press charges, just get counseling. They are a minor. Can I be charged in the case even though they do not want to press charges? Do they have to speak to the police?

G

grossed out

Are you saying that you had sexual contact with someone who was less than 8 years old ten years ago? That is so sick. I don't know what the statute of limitations is for your particular sex crime and I don't know what the local DA's policy is whether or not a the victim need be the complaining witness in order that you be charged. But I would think (and hope) that the child's PARENTS can (and will) press charges!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">