• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be evicted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

problemsinnc

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I rent from my mother in NC. We had an agreement back in December through text message that ONLY stated that I would stay and pay rent until January 2020. I have paid all the rent in full so far. I have been late two or three times. She never complained about it. About 3 days ago there was an argument and I had to call the cops on my family because they would not calm down. Now she wants to evict me because shes angry I dont want to have a personal relationship and she feels "disrespected". I will have to pay rent a day late this upcoming month, if that matters. Is any of this grounds for eviction?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I rent from my mother in NC. We had an agreement back in December through text message that ONLY stated that I would stay and pay rent until January 2020. I have paid all the rent in full so far. I have been late two or three times. She never complained about it. About 3 days ago there was an argument and I had to call the cops on my family because they would not calm down. Now she wants to evict me because shes angry I dont want to have a personal relationship and she feels "disrespected". I will have to pay rent a day late this upcoming month, if that matters. Is any of this grounds for eviction?
Are you renting a room in her home or an apartment? Please clarify : "they would not clam down". Thank You...

problemsinnc

A room w/ an attached bathroom in her home.

I apologize. I meant they would not calm down. She started an argument and I kept trying to walk away and she would follow me and stand in my doorway so I couldn't take a shower or go to bed. When I got on the phone with 911 they backed off briefly, but then my mom and brother were standing outside my door yelling to the point where I could barely hear the dispatcher on the phone.

Gail in Georgia

Sounds like you have a month to month tenancy with your mom; as such, these are easy to terminate by either side.

The fact that you've rented from her only since December and have already been late 2 or 3 times likely does not sit well with her in this most recent event when you called the police on your family.

Gail

problemsinnc

Thanks for your feedback!

I apologize for mentioning the late rent. I really don't think that has much to do with the situation since she originally told me she doesn't care of it's late or I don't pay as long as I let her know. She never said anything about the rent being late. I know she wouldn't think to bring that up in court.

The reasons she stated she wanted me out was because of me not being religious and her being upset about me not wanting a personal relationship. As soon as those two things were mentioned she said she would be filing for eviction because I can't be non religious and live in her home. So I guess the my real question is can she file for eviction based on the fact that I don't wish to have a personal relationship and I am not religious?

Also, I am slightly confused on how we have a month to month when it was agreed upon that I would stay from December 2018 to January 2020. I thought this would be a fixed term as opposed to a month to month since there was already a set timeframe for tenancy. I was under the impression that a month to month tenancy has no scheduled end date and just renews automatically at the end of the month until a party decides to end the agreement. This is the type of rental I had for 2 years previously.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

You have no written lease and thus it is likely you are considered to have a "tenancy at will" (i.e., a monthly lease). Such leases typically can be terminated by either party with a minimum of notice. Your mother would not need to give a reason to terminate such a lease. However, it is unlikely she can EVICT for the reasons you stated.

It's often not good to rent from family (or friends). These often end in disasters for both sides.
Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">